Thursday, 3 September 2026

Framed to Perfection LII (52)


CHELOVEK IDVOT ZA SOLNTSEM (1962)

Director: Mikhail Kalik

Cinematographer: Vadim Derbenyov


They say never work with kids or animals, but adult humans are usually arseholes themselves, so what do they know?!


“Following the Sun”, to give it its English title, is a staggering coffee table film of visual ideas. It’s apparently Russian, but I got a very Mediterranean vibe from it, reminding me the most of Zazie dans le Metro. Only nowhere near as annoying.


It appears to tell the story of a little boy racing home across town before nightfall. As someone who suffers from nyctalopia, I literally have nightmares like this on a regular basis, often combined with being lost on the rail network. Go figure.


While there are dialogue-heavy scenes, the whole thing feels more like a silent film, with mostly music accompanying our diminutive protagonist as he encounters pockets of humanity. There are precocious street urchins, bickering couples, flamboyant musical theatre enthusiasts, and an attractive woman sporting pretty balloons. What the latter is a metaphor for, I cannot say.


Hmm…


Surely nowadays the film’s story would serve as a tedious cautionary tale about encountering strangers, but this is a simple fairytale, where the normal rules of life do not apply. It’s really about a child’s view of the world opening up as he reaches the cusp of puberty.


At least I think it is.


I hadn’t heard about Following the Sun until today, but I’d be surprised if it isn’t on a greatest films list somewhere. If it isn’t, then that’s a great shame indeed. I guess English-speaking folk aren’t keen to experience and promote anything Russian these days, but that’s their loss.


A sweet, charming, compulsive gem, which I beg you to spread the word about as best you can.


You can find it here.


Do stay in touch, darlings.


Toodles!






No comments:

Post a Comment