I thought I’d seen everything when I finally watched Olivia Newton-John’s vanity project “Xanadu”, but this YouTube channel has opened my mind to a whole new way of seeing the world. And society. And desperation.
And, yes, I have so little going on in my own life that I’ve started living vicariously through shameless YouTubers, which is a new low for me.
Basically, it’s a channel devoted to, what I assume is, a gentleman in an Indian country filming citizens hanging out by a major river to fish out bags of garbage. And touching the bags of garbage. Then ripping them open. Then going through their contents excitedly.
WTF?!
At first, I thought maybe they were doing it for environmental reasons. But no. One guy just flings crap he doesn’t approve of back into the river! I find it utterly horrifying, but I guess there are levels of poverty in whatever-country-it-is to necessitate this kind of desperation.
A darker side of me wonders whether some of the very young riverside denizens are rent boys touting for business, which may or may not be lower than routing through items another human being has deemed unworthy of keeping.
I just… I just… I just can’t wrap my mind around it. But it is fascinating, and a look into behaviour that really doesn’t translate into the English-speaking world. You know, where we don’t fish garbage out of the river in the hopes of keeping it.
Good grief.
Perhaps my utterly pathetic existence isn’t as bad as I’ve been thinking.
Do stay in touch, darlings.
Toodles!
No comments:
Post a Comment